Pages

Monday 23 September 2013

Moving out

In 2011 I started University; I moved out of our family home and came to live on campus. Shopping for University supplies was by far the most tedious task I have ever carried out. I tried to be efficient and think of everything I would need. I made lists, so for Bedroom, I listed all the things my room would need, then the same for kitchen and bathroom and a completely separate list for stationary (my stationary is that privileged). I also came armed with disinfectant and Dettol wipes. 

On moving day my mum and brother accompanied me. I had to drag my brother along because I knew I would need help carrying things. After cleaning my room and unpacking, I was actually quite pleased with myself. I had packed everything, forgotten nothing and everything was in order. My family and I went to have dinner and then we said our goodbyes and I went to my room to try to set up the internet (which did not work for 8 days! As the system had crashed).

I’m not an outgoing, chatty person, so saying Hi to others wasn't easy during the induction week, but I gave it my best. I met a lot of people and also made some really close friends. However, my point of writing this is to tell you about what happened during the induction week. 

A friend of mine and I decided to make wraps, I had all the ingredients and we thought it would be nice to have for lunch. When we got to my kitchen, I got all the supplies out and was about to start cooking, only when I realised, I HAD FORGOTTEN THE OIL! I remembered the bath mat but forgot the oil! Oil-a key ingredient for anything you may want to cook and I didn't even think of it. 

The point is you won’t remember everything, none of us do. But what you should remember is you’re at University! You've finally finished and left school; some of you may even move out and leave your home town. This is a new chapter in your lives. Make the most of every moment and every opportunity! Not everyone gets an opportunity like this! We get to party, study and learn how to stand on our own two feet. We are creating our futures! Let’s enjoy ourselves in the process. 

Good Luck :D    

No comments:

Post a Comment